Monday, September 7, 2009

September 7, 09
Labor Day

Hi to all,

Last week was the first week end I did not manage to get our blog published. I cant say why, I just did not get it done.  This is not an excuse, Just letting you know we are well and happy and awful busy!

To-day is the last day of the Famous Minnesota State Fair. Doris and I did make it this year. We met with son Jim and Daughter-in-law Gina. It was a fabulous day wether wise and we enjoyed. The fair grounds cover about 85 acres between Minneapolis and St Paul. Good shoes and some planning ahead make for a wonderful day of people watching, music, food, vendors of all sorts, animals, including a birthing building, rides, politicians, and friends.

We always take the fair bus that Minneapolis' transit people provide. From downtown where we live it cost's 75 cents one way during off busy ride times. This is a bargain and saves much time and consternation trying to find a place to park and then remembering where you parked. 
We really do enjoy this annual event and can't remembering ever missed it. I am feeling my age after 4 or 5 hours of walking around this former farm land and I don't last as long as Doris. Doris spends most of her day listening to the loud (isn't most of it loud these days?) music. I do not enjoy that,  My time is spent looking around at all the sales pitches for everything imaginable. After the many years we have attended we have become State Fair friends with some of the exhibitors and I make the rounds letting all know I am still vertical. It is always a fun day. I don't last as long as Doris so I hop a bus before the fare changes to a couple of bucks and get home and relax before Doris arrives after the State fair talent contest held each evening. Come visit during the fair sometime and we will escort you to a great day of surprises in St Paul.

I must report on my bumper crop of tomatoes. I never dreamed we would have as many to share with neighbors and friends. It seems each day I fill a grocery store plastic bag 1/2 to 3/4 full. Everyone seems to enjoy. Next year I may put in few more plants. We shall see.

The summer is coming to an end. This does not mean it will be cold tomorrow, only that school starts, swimming pools are being drained and packed for the Minnesota winter. Our triplet granddaughters have been using and enjoying our Condominium pool and will miss it on these warm fall week days when they usually show up at Grandmas for treats and a swim. 
They will start kindergarten tomorrow and are excited. All 3 will be in the same class and this will be an experience for them as well as Mom and the teacher. Dylan, their older brother will begin his formal education in first grade this year. He is excited and announced that he will have his own desk this year. We will keep you informed of the trial and tribulations of their progress.

I went fishing for the-first time this year last Tuesday. I was assured by my friend Gordy that all was well with the pontoon we rent. After are drive to the lake, our breakfast at the 1865 restaurant, buying our live bait, unloading the car into the pontoon and starting down our normal water path trolling for walleye and jumbo perch. We hadn't gone only a couple hundred yards when the motor quit. We tried to start it , however the battery was almost dead. Upon leaving the dock the motor started ok. It showed no signs of weakness. We were surprised that it wouldn't crank the engine after we left the dock. There we sat. No motor and far enough out to make it impossibles to get back minus a motor. Poor old Jim has been on that lake hundreds of times and never has found himself in that position before. To far to swim, to far to jump over the side and walk on the bottom pulling the pontoon with a shoulder rope. What did we do?
First we did what any good fisherman would do. 
We dropped anchor and began fishing.
The wind began to get a bit stronger and the anchor was begging to slip and we were headed for shore. I whipped out my cell-phone and thought about calling for help. Only then did we realize we didn't have Dickies (the owner of the pontoon) cell phone number. I then had a sandwich and though about what to do. It was warm not cold, we were dry not wet, we had food and water. The only problem was how we were to get off the lake. This time of the year there aren't 
many fisherpersons on the lake. This was evidenced as we could see absolutely no one. After a bit of thought  I called Daughter Jane. I told her of the predicament and needed help to avoid a long swim. Remember I'm 82 and Gordy is 85. Swimming or abandoning the pontoon was not an option. Jane, the sweetheart that she is located Dikie (the owner) and called him. Last Tuesday was the bear hunting opening season and Dikie was in his woods checking hunters who had or didn't have permission to hunt. He in turn contacted  someone at the lake and after a few hours a boat with to fellows appeared. They brought a new battery, hooked it up and the motor started like a dream. At that point I had enough fishing for that day. We arrived home safe and sound and the whole experience gave me a lot to write about in my blog that I hope brought some chuckles from all of you out there. 

The mother of three unruly children was asked whether or not she would have children if she had it to do over again. "yes" she replied, but not the same ones.

Thanks for tuning us in.

Keep in touch

Jim and Doris.


No comments: