Last week after 60 years of marriage, was a good time to reflect back on our lives together.
A time to remember when we met, where we met, the fun times, fishing together, movies walking to Conklin Park, sitting on the benches, looking out over the lake and planning our lives together. We had no money, I, a poor army veteran with no money (I recieved $ about 7.40 a month from the Veterans administration) and Doris working for the U of W in the Memorial Union Rathskellar for $75.00 a month.
I lived with Aunt and Uncle on Lake Mendota and Doris on East Johnson Street with her folks. A long bus ride. I always caught the last bus from her house where we always ended up after a date. Her Dad's house was just Kitty corner from the bus stop across East Johnson Street and I could see that little bus coming from a couple blocks away. It was that last hug and kiss that made the run across the corner fast and desperate. Most times I ran hard to catch it or face the alternative of walking 8 to 10 miles to my room at the Mackens on Lake Mendota. I cant ever remember taking a cab in Madison, (never had any money) always the nickel bus ride. The bus driver got to know me and would laugh. I never wanted to leave Doris. That was painful for a young fellow just out of the army, with the girl he loved, left sitting on the porch steps or just inside the door watching him run like crazy to catch that bus. I never missed it. In that time, after the war ended, the bus fare in Madison was 5 cents to go anywhere in town.
Awwww Yessss, sweet memories.
That was then, this is now!
Doris only made one day at school, Thursday, as the kids had a bus trip for some school activity. Doris does not get on a bus with all those wild kids. She has learned!
Tuesday is bingo day at Mystic Lake, Wednesday and Thursday are Kenwood School volunteer days and Fridays are spent at Eide Saw Company fileing copies of invoices. This is important. Daughter Jane just went through a state sales tax audit and it was'nt pleasant. She got through it, won some, lost some.
This morning was the day to reset your clocks if you live in the Midwest time zone. We always FALL back and SPRING ahead this time of the year.
Speaking of spring I did get my pack of tomato seeds planted in the little plastic kit you buy at the hardware. They are already poking their noses out of the little seed pocket. I expect a better and healthier crop this year from last years experience.
I have been busy catching up on some woodworking projects that were put on hold before, during and after Doris' recuping from her health problem. We are both happy to report that both of use are back to normal and loving it.
Sign in restaurant window,
"Don't just stand there, come in and get fed up!"
Jim and Doris

No comments:
Post a Comment