Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saturday, April 10
Minneapolis

Happy Easter to all, one week late.

Doris and I hope all had a Great sunday last and made certain all the kids( no matter what age had a great family day.

As a young boy Easter was a special day for Brother John and I. We would wake up early and hunt for the Easter basket my mother worked hard to make special. There was always a special easter surprise that she created and would last long after the candy and decorated hard boiled eggs. Mother would always purchase a large chocolate egg that I always looked forward to. It was large and fill with a yellow candy yolk surrounded be white candy and covered with delicious chocolate. I wound slice thin cuts and enjoy then rewrap it, place it back in the basket until next time. I also remember that the next-times were not to far apart. This was always a wonderful easter gift Mother provided far into my adulthood that she purchased from the Fanny Farmer candy store. Fanny Farmer is no longer around and I still miss this wonderful delicious chocolate egg. I am sure Brother John also recieved some special delight that he enjoyed as much as I enjoyed that egg. In those days we also were required to eat the boiled eggs that we helped color when we grew older. It was almost a sin not to eat them. We learned quickly that it was better to eat them A.S.A.P. as the days past and the eggs aged.

The weather turned great for the holiday and we spent it at son Jim's in Chaska, MN. About a 30 mile trip from our condo in downtown Minneapolis. Not to much traffic on a beautiful Sunday. We are always the recipient, of the delicious ham bone that Doris and I create pea or bean soup from this base. In addition there is always a care package of ham for us to enjoy.
This year there were only host's Jim and Jay and Gina and their four youngsters and the two of us. Gina had hidden plastic eggs around the yard and the four kids had a ball hunting. After the first hunt the kids each took a turn turn at hiding the eggs. After 5 Easter egg searches they began to tire and look for something more exciting to do.
Yesterday, Friday was "Important people Day" at school for Dylan and his sister's Emma, Aylisa and Laura. Doris and I respectfully attended and had chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce and one large cookie. We had a ball and we think the kids did too. We hope to be invited again next year when Dylan will be a second grader and the girls will be following in first.
I have transplanted my tomato plants to a larger plantable pot. At first they looked sickly but after a few days, perked up and are growing like crazy. The plastic grow boxes are prepared and ready to accept this plants as soon as the merry month of May arrives. ( along with assurance of warm days and nighhts.

Son Tod is doing well in California. He now wears a brace on his right leg and arm and is moving around quite well with weekly session at re-hab. We feel bad that we cant be there for him. We talk to him each week. This is kind of strange as in past years we would'nt hear from him in months and even sometimes in years. Were glad to have him back in the fold and are appreciative to the Siglers who have assumed the total responsibility of caring for him.

Doris is back at school for a second day each week. She and the staff look forward to having her as well as her kid's. She loves it and it is important to her to have this special responsibility.
I am, as usual into the shop each day. I just finished a large project for Jane and Gary's new four bedroom lake home. She asked me to build 8 bedside tables and took posesion of two more I built previously. It took many weeks of my part time retirement, but enjoyed the opportunity.

I always like to share a bit of humor in our blog and try to make you smile, so here goes!


SIGNS of THE TIMES

In a clothing store;
" WONDERFULFUL BARGAINS FOR MEN WITH 16 AND 17 NECKS"
In a General Store;
"WHY GO ELSEWHERE TO BE CHEATED WHEN YOU CAN COME HERE"
In a Paris France elevator;
"PLEASE LEAVE YOUR VALUES AT THE FRONT DESK"

Have a great spring and forget about the crazy folks among us!
Do not text while driving - (as far as we are concerned or any other time)

Jim and Doris


No comments: