Saturday, August 28, 2010

Minneaoplis
August 28

Good Morning,

As Doris and I age the time seems to pass faster and faster. It is almost Labor Day week end and it seems as though these warm sunny days have just arrived after the long Minnesota winters. So be it!

We are still enjoying each other each and every day as it dawns and passes. We seem to be continually busy, involving ourselves in some meaningful activity.

This is a special week, Minnesota State Fair Week, foundly called "The Great Minnesota Get To Gether. The Minnesota fair is just 1 place below the giant Texas fair in attendance and popularity. It runs for 10 days and each year sets new records for popularity and attendance. This years attendance is on schedule again to a set record. The weather has been super for those who like to rub elbows when it's not to hot at this great event. (this year there is an abundance of wind daily, election year). There is something for everyone, free ongoing entertainment at many stages, an evening talent show with a winner each night and a final winner on the last night, great food including anything from exotic to the regular Corn dogs and mini-doughnuts to this years new surprise "pigs ears". My favorite is a hot dog with everything and a cold coke.

This year was a another challenge for Doris and her 4 wheeled walker with brakes, a seat and a basket to hold all the necessaries for a days trip to St Paul on Como avenue where this event has been staged for many years. It's a look forward to event in the upper midwest, where folks show up from the surrounding states. Several years ago when Doris and I were RV'ing we parked at the fair, stayed at the RV park on the grounds for a few days and had a ball. We met all kinds of folks that come to the fair each year with or without the kids and stay for the entire 10 days or less. We met many RV people and had a ball. If we tired, all we had to do was find the coach and take a short nap or just sit in our spot and visit with the neighbors. This is what makes memories and makes an RV fun.

The first task accomplised at the fair is to get in line and pick up a free bag from the many companies that have their names plastered all over them. There are always lines when the better bags are being given away and this year was no exception. The smart givers only give away x of number of bags per hour. That cuts the cost, and keeps the crowd comming back all day for one of these "must have" delights that every one can spot immeciatley. I don't usually spend much money, (entrance for seniors is $8 this year) but sometimes something catches my eye and I pull out the Discover card and then realize that I have created a problem. I now have to carry the item/items around for as long as we are there. This year it was a grill grate scraper. Made from solid red oak. Because I work with wood I could not pass this wonderful solid wood, red oak wonder. I insisted that the sales lady demonstrate. $14.95 plus tax. Because I cook a lot I was unable to pass up the hand crafted garlic container and grater from Itay. The guy demonstrating (you can smell his booth from a long ways away) claims it works great and brightens up the counter next to the stove. $13.00 plus tax. It does'nt do much for Doris. Remember she was the 11th of 12 Carlsons decended from Norweigen farmers in Lafayete county, Wisconsin. I liked it and it now set's next to our stove.


Doris new presciption shoes have arrived and we will travel to the Doctors office (again) for a fitting and are hoping they will fit and help correct the problen that was encountered when the leg brace was introduced because of the problem that was caused when she was rushing to the bathroom and broke her wrist because of the problen that was caused because of the failed surgey a while back. (wow) Other than that she is doing great and is looking forward to returning to her volunteer position at her beloved Kenwood School. She will start about 3 to 4 weeks after school starts and the kids that need that little extra are identified. Last year it was 1/2 day on Tuesday and Thursdays. I drop her off at about 7:00 am and someone from school returns her to the 14th floor condo about noon. This activity keeps her off the streets and out of the bars!

I am still hanging out at my favoite saw repair shop, ocupying space for my wood working. This keeps me active and I am allowed space to manufacture sawdust. I do run a few errands and have become the letter carrier for the company. Again, I have mananged to gain many friends at the post office as I pick up the mail daily. I also deliver resharpened saws to my favorite lumber supplier and have just realized that I probably spend more on lumber than they do on sharpening. There is something wrong with this Picture!

I am looking forward to the fall season as this summers heat and especially high humidity really took their toll on poor old Jim. Many days I left left the shop early as I just seemed to wilt when I tried to do something. I have blamed the many mistakes a miscues on the heat instead of my brain which suffers from the many years it has directed all my activities.

I have just realized that I have sat here during and past lunch. With that task in mind I shall punch the shut down key and escape this chair for a kitchen surprise.

Doris and I hope all are well and for those Carlson's we hope they had a great time at the picnic. We are sorry we had to miss.

Probability; After your hands become coated with grease when repairing your car, your nose itches and you have to pee.

Probability; The severity of the itch is inversley proportional to the reach.

Have a great week,


Jim and Doris




No comments: