Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday, September 9
Labor Day, 2010

To-day I woke to a Minnesota temperature of 61 delightful degrees.
Gone are the hot and humid days of July. In a day gone by I was able to do hard manual labor in any kind of weather, however as I age, my body wilts as did my tomatoes in the July heat.

To-day is the final day of "The Great Minnesota Get-together" the Minnesota State Fair.
Doris and I attended on the 27th of August. It was a warm day but not especially hot and humid as in days past. We listened to some awful loud music (I for a short time and Doris for almost the whole day). The music that I liked at the fair in past years is now given way to loud crazy stuff I do not enjoy. I did make the rounds at the fair, bought a few things that I could not live without and 1 hot dog and a Coke. Doris sat at the grandstand and listned to that awful music most all day except for a trip of two to the ladies room and some cheese curds and french fries. Wow what a diet. I left eary afternoon and as usual Doris hung out until the gates closed. We travel to the fair by bus so I did not have the responsability of driving home, just get on the non-stop bus, (50 cents) and enjoy the ride to a short block to our 14th floor home.
The attendance this year broke a record each day as it will to-day, labor Day. The polititions tend to crowd each other and are always a big draw this election year. I never listen as the news and TV are full of the complaints about the other person (the women candidates are no exception to complain about the incubunts and visa/versa).

Many people travel to our fair. It is the largest just behind Texas. The reason Texas is larger is that it runs 30 days, Minnesota 10 days. People from neighboring Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas are part of the success of Minnesota's annual event. On this past Friday there were almost 1/4 of a million folks that passed through the turnstiles. Up here were hung up on food on a stick. From walleye to what ever you can imagination to this years pig's ear on a stick. Because of Doris and my scandinavian upbringing we pass on everything except the infamous pronto pups/corn dogs and the greatest french fries you have ever eaten. Travel up to Minnesota some time to visitand we will treat you to a delitful bus ride and a day at the fair. Travel up some other day and we will treat you to a great day of sight seeing and food.

Doris has taken delivery of her new prescription shoes, She is now happy as a clam and traveling behind her walker with the 4 wheel brakes. She is still the 2nd worlds greatest bingo player just behind Grandma Carlson who will always hold a place in our hearts for bingo attendance in Rockford, Il. She traveled with her friends once each week all the while Doris and I were dating.

Not that another school year has begun Doris is preparing for the call from Kenwood School to return (her 40th year) to assisting the K thru 6 kids that find it difficult keeping up. Many are from single parent families and some are unfortunate to have uncaring parents and some just have trouble with school.

There is exciting news on our 14 th floor home ! We finally (after the summer is over) popped for a new balcony screen door. Now the bee's, hornets and flies will have to find a new home. We have at long last shut the critters out! Why did we wait so Long? We don't know. Just one of those things. Yesterday we were honored when Jim and Gina came for Dinner and Jay and our youngest grand children came to be spoiled by grand parents. They love the balcony and my small steam engine that seems to amaze them when we fire it up.

Doris and I have been in a tossing out phase. All those things that we coul'ndt live without are now gone and forgotten. After watching Oprah arrange to un-klutter homes on her program we thought "Why Not" and it's gone forever. We seem to be part of a society of people who cannot bear to through things out. There might be the time when we need those things so we tend to hang on. Get smart and throw it away. If you need one later call one of the kids.

Road construction is still moving at high speed here in Minnesota. Week end closures and detours are part of the motoiring life we all seem to lead. We have to push like crazy in upper midwest because of long winters and short road construction time in the snow country. Doris and I try to stay in our own back yard most of the time. I am not sure anymore how much longer I will be able to deal with all of the traffic. I do well where I am familiar and not comfortable when having to deal with traffic in unfamiliar places. I have only had 1, yes 1 speeding ticket in my lifetime of driving (got my license at age 15) and no serious accidents.
A few fender bumpers is all I can remember. I am one of those guys you hate to get behind!
We joined AAA and carry a cell phone as I refuse to exit the car if it stops or a tire gives out. Pull over as far as you can and be patient!

Have you heard about the 83 year old gentleman who talked himself out of a speeding ticket by telling the young officer he had to get there before he forgot where he was going!

Have a great day and enjoy.

Keep in touch, we love to hear from you.

Jim and Doris



No comments: