When I was a boy this was a popular holiday. Most families took the Street Car or walked to a park, pulling a coaster wagon holding our lunch and lemonaide and any small children. The parks where the place wher neighborhood memorial celebrations were conducted. There were not many cars in those bleak days of the Great Depression, and families did most things together. Everyone packed a big lunch and a large jar of lemonaide (usually warm when we drank it). About the only thing you could buy at the park was ice cream bars called "Soldier Boys" named for the former First WW unemployed Army veterans that peddled 3 wheel bicycles with a cold box in front full of ice cream bars and dry ice. You could buy one for a nickel, if you had one. We lived in Milwaukee, WI and Humbolt Park was always our families destination for the day. As I remember, our family of four did not miss many of these family days at the park. Most folks of that era always did things as a family in those days.
This year Doris and I just relaxed and enjoyed the Twins beating the Milwaukee Brewers.
Last weeks weather in Minneapolis was fantastic. We were all hoping for sping warmth and it arrived. No rain and at this time and we would be thankful for a good old fashioned all day soft (soaker) rain.
Doris worked at school one day last week and all at Kenwood Elementary are counting down the last days before summer vacation in early June.
As usual, Tuesday was Casino Bingo and as usual, Doris did not win anything spectacular. She did enjoy and all of her Bingo friends were happy to see her when she boarded the "Bingo Bus"
Every one of our childrens families are busy doing something special this holiday week end.
The weather could not have been better and they are all enjoying the 3 day week end.
I, have been busy at my shop. Jay and Gina and Jim and Gina needed entrance benches for their homes. Dad responded and they now have a place to sit when changing from outdoor wear to slippers or vice versa. Jay and Gina used theirs for a "Triplet Seat" at the dining table. Doris and I have not experienced that event as yet but we will soon.
The tomato project is progressing.
Last week I broke down a purchased some larger tomato palnts at Home Depot. I moved my "started from seed plants" to the end of the beds and set the new larger plants in the center. After looking things over after the new arrangement, I could'nt help but notice that the plants I bought from HD were not much larger than the the plants that I have nursed from seed since early March. We shall see!
Last week we were invited to attend Gavin's first ever piano recital at Gustavus, in St Peter. It was great watching an listening to all those who participated. Some of the teachers also participated and we really enjoyed. It was a beautiful day and evening for the trip down to St Peter and back. Thanks to the Dobosenski's for inviting us, we enjoyed.
Podiatrist Sign:
Time Wounds all Heels
A woman went to the emergency room. After about 3 minutes the doctor told her she was pregnant. She burst out of the room and went screaming down the corridor. AnotherDoctor stopped her and asked what was wrong. After finding out, he marched to the first doctors office and said what is wrong with you telling a 63 old woman she's pregnant?
The first doctor then asked the second, does she still have the the hicups.
Have a great week,
Jim and Doris

No comments:
Post a Comment