Minneapolis
It seems like spring has finally arrived and we find ourselves with almost a week of July gone. My, how the time does fly.
The 4th of July Minneapolis Fireworks display was as usual fantastic. Living near the Mississippi in downtown Minneapolis gives us an opportunity to view of these gigantic ariel displays from an eqsy chair. We look out our north window from our dining area and can see the river and the fireworks from our 14th floor home. These spectacular rockets are fired from the Stone Arch bridge that was built by James J. Hill , the railroad magnet of the "Great Northern Railroad". The Depot is gone but the bridge has been turned into a public walkway crossing the river just as the giant steam engines did so many years ago. It is just below "St Anthony Falls" the only falls on the Mississsippi. The falls and the railroad is what made Minneapolis world famous as the flour milling capitol of the country.
Doris especially enjoys this entertainment that celebrates the birth of our country.
I remember the 4th as a young boy living in Milwaukee. Fire works were legal back then and I saved as much pennys as I could to buy fire crackers at almost any neighborhood store.
It did'nt take very long to burn up my supply, Probably 5 or 10 minutes, then I would sit long faced as it seemed like I was the only one who burned their supply in the early morning hours. Fire crackers in those days were going off everywhere. In the parks, the neighborhoods, in alleys and anywhere else you happend to be. For a young lad, it was an exciting day.
After allmost every one was out of fire power we would cruise the gutters that were full of exploded crackes and for for duds (unexploded crackers). We would break the duds in half to expose the powder and light it with our punks (a slow burning fire on a stick). When they started to burn we would stamp on them with the heel of our shoe and they would bang just like they were intended to perform. At night almost everyone had a supply of rockets and you could sit in your yard and watch them shoot into the air.
It was an exciting time. I can understand why all that was outlawed as many kids and adults alike were seriously hurt and burned each 4th of July.
Sometime I will write about our tricks with carbide, the kind miners used in their lamps to work in the dark and dynamite caps.
Hope you all had a happy 4th.
Doris' broken wrist is healing nicely. She is into the therapy mode and the splints will be removed on the 17th.
Not to be outdone I have begun therapy for my sore knees. I have been doing some daily exercises to strengthen my knee joints (which are not worn, just weak) hip and walking. It all seems to be working as the soreness in the knees is disapearing. I am also riding the bike in our exercise room on a daily basis. The first sessions were a killer but each day it became easier and the time I pumped became longer and longer. I also realized it was great for my lungs andI can now walk almost as far as I used to. I can rember the army days when we would walk 20 miles like it was nothing. (after a lot of bitching)
Doris and I are looking forward to the Carlson Family reunion August 1st. Last year after attending we decided it would be our last, but here we go again in 09.
In addition to seeing all the Carlson Clan we also visit the Madison area Battenberg relations (cousins) and some close freinds. A lot of our close friends in Madison are now gone so our trip is becoming less and less hectic. We used to schedule visits, now we struggle to fill the days we are there.
The tomatos are growing like crazy and there are many green tomatos growing larger and soon will be turning red. I check daily to make sure the water in the lower tanks are kept full. I also keep tying up the branches and cutting back the suckers. Tomato are a vine and they will grow out of control if allowed. I watch them daily and always tying and trimming.
Eide Saw Service is still operating 5 days a week 8 hours a day. The economic diaster we are all facing is beginning to take its toll as more and more of the customers are slowing down or quitting. I imagine it will also affect our business in a day to come. We are always hoping for the best and are keepin g on and on. Collection have also slowed and you must be vigilant with your customers and your vendors as all are facing the same problems.
Time now for a bit of humor.
It is always good for the soul!
A tour bus driver is driving a bus load of seniors down a highway when he is tapped on his shoulder by a little old lady.
She offers him a handful of peanuts, which he gratefully munches up.
After about ten minutes she taps him on the shoulder again and hands him another handful of peanuts.
Driver: Why dont you eat the peanuts yourself?
Old Lady: We can't chew them because we've no teeth!
Driver: Why do you buy them.
Lady: We love the chocolate on them! ===
Thanks for tuning in to our blog.
Have a great week.
Jim and Doris

No comments:
Post a Comment