Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday
July 12, 09

We, here in the Land of Sky Blue Waters are enjoying July weather! 
How about you?
Wish you were here.

This is the week previous to the famous Minneapolis Aquatenial. 
"The Best 10 Day's of summer" so they say!
It is also Doris' favorite time of the summer. She is an active Aquatennial Volunteer and is busy selling Skipper Pins to everyone she can. The pins cost 5 bucks and support the festival. She is getting close to her 09 goal of 400 sales. We shall see!
It has been difficult for her this year. The broken wrist and the problem foot has taken it's toll but she continues on, using her Caddillac walker.  She does keep on keeping on. She has what she considers HER customers, that year after year, look forward to her visit to buy the souvenir pins. Her all time high a few years ago was about 2, 500. Each year the prices rises and it becomes more difficult to get people to buy, especially in this times of our funky economy. Doris also volunteered to work at the bowling tournament and some other activities over the 10 day run. 
I, myself, just sit back and act as her driver for her busy schedule during Aquatennial. 

The tomatoes are growing (fruit/Vegetable, you tell me which) and there should be a good crop. Last year they suffered some crazy diseases and many were not edible. I have taken steps to see that this will not repeat in 09. I received some great help from the U of M. 

The economy has finally caught up to the gang at Eide Saw. Beginning tomorrow each person will take a work day off. This was a tough decision for Daughter Jane, (I was never faced with anything like this in my career). No-one likes to have their pay-day shortened. It isn't only that business has slowed, but the customers have been slower in paying up. It-makes it tough all around. 

I continue running errands and do what I can to conserve. I like to think I help now and then. 
It will get better, it always does and all this will be behind. 

Humor at this time seems appropriate.

Committee: A body that keeps minutes and wastes hours.
Dust: Mud with the juice squeezed out.
Gossip: A person who will never tell a lie if the truth will do more damage.
Mosquito: An insect that makes flies look good.
And remember, the handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Thanks for looking in at our week, we appreciate.

Keep in touch.

Jim and Doris








No comments: