Sunday August 16, 2009
Tiger Woods lost the PGA at Hazeltine Golf Course, near Minneapolis an hour or so ago.
It is always good to see young people coming up to take on the champions.
I am not a golf player or golf fanatic. I caddy'ed when a young lad and never did pick up the golf bug.
In those days before and at the beginning of WW2 the caddy's at the Kenosha Country club, in Wisconsin earned .80 cents to carry a bag of golf clubs for 18 holes. If you were fortunate enough to keep in sight the golfers golf ball, stand by it and wait until he approached for his next shot and make sure you were there when he needed a club, you might get a twenty cent tip. This made a days work on the coarse a buck. A big days pay back then. Sometimes the golfers would play 9 holes in the morning and stop for lunch and play the balance of 9 holes after lunch. Other times they would play all 18 at the same time. You never knew until the golfers decided. We had to hitch hike to the golf coarse and hitch hike back home after the days work. Sometimes you would sit all day waiting for a caddy job without getting one. Just hanging around the caddy shack waiting all day for nothing. A 16 oz pepsi was a nickel and we carried our lunch. I guess thats why I never became interested in playing the game. I did manage to collect a small set of wooden shaft clubs in a golf bag some where along my career as a caddy. Sometime during my Army career my parents got rid of them. They would have been a great collectors item today. I guess even if I had been home I probably would not have keep them. It's like all the old cars we drove and should have kept as collectables.
Doris had some additional therapy on her wrist this past week. More to come. She experiences some numbness occasionally and now has the choice of more surgery to correct the cause.
We shall wait for her to make a decision as to what to do.
Our tomatoes are starting to turn red in mass and we will be sharing them with friends. There are more than we can ever eat. Canning is out of the question. Mainly because of Doris wrist problem and the shortage of storage in a Condo. When our 8 children were all home and growing we always had shelves full of fruit and vegetables stored in the cellar for the coming winter months.
Times have changed!
Dear Abby, I was married to Bill for three months and I didn't know he drank until one night he came home sober!
Thanks for tuning us in,
We appreciate.
Keep in touch.
Jim and Doris

No comments:
Post a Comment