Doris and I returned from Madison, Wi on a Saturday afternoon of fun and visiting with most of the Carlson connected relatives. I am not sure how many of us were in attendance but it was a large group.
Doris and I are always glad to see all that show up for these affairs. I not sure when it all started but most of the direct descendants of Alvin and Otilda learned of them as soon as they learned to talk and walk. It was kind of born in them. The rest of us, the husbands and wives of the directs, always made sure we made an appearance at one of these family gatherings for the first time after the wedding. There were no ifs', ands or buts, if you married into the Carlson Family you were expected (required might be a better word) to attend.
At first if was kind of scary and freaky for me. Here I was, a 22 year old dumb kid from out of town who had just acquired a new wife and was now required to meet the whole of this large family of 12 children at a picnic some where I had never heard of or even cared about. After all, I was just used to being married and getting to know Ma and Pa Carlson. It took me a couple years to meet em all! It's pretty obvious that everything went as planed. I eventually became one of the Carlson's (by default). I have an enormous amout of empathy for these new folks, male or female, young or old who feel they are being dragged to this annual event and probably would rater die than give in. I know how they feel.
It has been a long time since I was threatened as to what might happen if I did not escort their youngest daughter Doris to my first experience at meeting this large bunch (mostly Norwegians) of what I now know were great people that I learned to love, look forward to visiting, and eventually taught me to play and join in the euchre card games.
I now look forward to seeing all of the family at least once a year at the home of a volunteer that offered their home for this annual get together. I have been heard to say that this is the last time we will attend because of the long distance drive. Then when the time draws near, I wilt like dead dandelion and anxiously wait for directions and times for the annual ritual.
For those that missed this one at Marilyn's hide-out in the Baraboo River Hill Country of Wisconsin all I can say is, what a beautiful home in a beautiful setting. Located on 40 acres of woodland (that by law cannot be disturbed) and a small field where deer and turkeys feed regularly. They can be seen from the back windows while relaxing and realizing what a great place this is. It would be worth your while to visit Marilyn and see what a jewel her home is. Thanks Marilyn for letting us share. Be sure to get good directions or you will never find it. This is the only place that-my GPS could not find. I was forced to purchase a road map ($6.87) from a gas station. I must have GIVEN AWAY thousands of those when I ran a gas station. Alas, I still could not find Klien Road. Doris and I were, saved by Richard and Suzy Judd and his car full who recognized my car and Minnesota license plate while I was stopped at a wide spot in the road trying to decide if I should turn right or left on one on Wisconsin's lonely County Trunk Roads. Doris was relieved as she believed we would never return to our urban home in Minneapolis. It was a great time! Thanks to Marilyn and all who provided food and drink.
Comments from the year 1955:
"if cigaretts keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. 20 cents a pack is ridiculous."
"if they think I'm going to pay 30 cents for a hair cut, forget it!"
Thanks for tuning in.
Jim and Doris
Dont be afraid to drop us a line. We get lonesome up here in the wilderness!

No comments:
Post a Comment