Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday August 9, 09

All of us here in the Upper Midwest have been waiting for rain. We are about 5 inches short of that wonderful liquid that keeps everthing alive, well and green. Without water my tomatoes could not survive very long.  Last week we had a few of those wonderful (love apples) between to slices of toasted bread with some smoked bacon and a touch of Americas Kraft Mayo. Doris' favorite. There are many green tomatoes waiting to turn that beautiful red color while on the vine. Thats the best, when they are vine ripened outside in the sun. Wish you were here for one of Doris' home grown delights.

Last evening looking out over our 14 floor balcony to the North and West, I could see the black storm clouds and the lightning  beginning to gather strength. There was a lot of wind outside the downtown area.  I had to take my flag down before the wind damaged it, blowing against the bricks. I cannot remember a severe wind storm in this urban area. Maybe it's the big buildings that discourage the wind from forming into tornadoes or maybe were just lucky. 
Some of the suburbs did suffer a bit from tree limbs trees blowing down on roofs and cars but no serious injuries. An added advantage to downtown living!

A few weeks ago, after I gathered enough courage, I posted a new picture of myself on this blog.
I thought someone would notice! I have had many of you advising me of the lousy first attempt, a picture taken from this computer.  Any way, as of this date I have not had any comments about the newer version of myself. The tee I am wearing was a gift from our good freinds Nancy and Larry Broers. We have known them from our travels in the RV. They have this great farm, where Larry was born (a few years ago is all that needs to said about that) and farmed all his life until now. This was always a wonderful place to stop, visit and rest on our way home from Arizona and other points. Any way, Nancy thought I should have this shirt that states loudly with it's black letters and yellow background that

                             "THIS IS WHAT A COOL 80 YEAR OLD LOOKS LIKE!" 

I wear it on special occasions! I should have worn it to the Carlson Get Together, but forgot.
Larry and Nancy have retired from the farm and have built a large wonderful log home on a small Minnesota lake  near Pine River, Minnesota. The home is really great and they are happy as clams to be away from all the Iowa corn and soybeans. A larger home than Maryln's  but on less land. Anyway, thats the story of the yellow tee. Arent you glad you found that out!

We are looking forward in a few weeks to "The Great Minneasota Get Together" the Minnesota State Fair. Doris and I have made a tradition out of this event and almost never miss a few days of walking, sitting, eating, listening to all the free music, looking, and even resting on occasion during this event. We travel to and from the fair on the wonderful bus system that Minneapolis has grown over the years, for 50 cents, seniors can travel to and from the fair and be delivered right to the main gate. The trip home is just as easy with buses leaving about every twenty minutes.  It sure beats driving in all the traffic and trying to find a place to park the car and walk a long ways before getting to the gate. Come join us sometime!

Doris is still traveling to the Hand Therapy Clinic and a few check ups with her former cadre of MD's. It is begining to come to an end is no longer the pani in the r--r that it once was. 
I have finished my knee therapy a bit sooner that than expected because of the progress I have made. 
This reminds me of  "The Smart Foot"!

1. While siiting at your desk, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles with it.
2. Now, while your doing this, draw the number six "6" in the air with your right hand.
    Your foot will change direction!  and there is nothing you can do about it.

Thanks for tuning in this week.

Jim and Doris









No comments: